Saturday, April 24, 2010

Basic Instinct (1992)



I had never seen this before. There's no real reason why I had missed it. It was released in 1992, my sophomore year in high school and I certainly would have been interested in it then. Since I am 17 (yikes) years older now its a bit of a different story now. This movie simply tries too hard. This must have been the apex of this sort of sexy murder-mystery that they churned out so much in the late 80's and 90's. Sharon Stone's line, "I like to fuck on cocaine", pretty much sums up the whole movie. I mean, you could say this about most movies I am sure, but this was obviously made with everyone involved with the production hoovering rails. Especially Joe Eszterhas, the writer. Oof. Everything is ratcheted up to 11 here. In a way, its not unenjoyable, but its definitely not good. I had to post the above picture because the sight of Michael Douglas going out to the clubs wearing a v-neck sweater with nothing underneath made me laugh out loud. Also, through no fault of their own, there are like three actors here who went on to have parts in Seinfeld, and, I just have such a hard time taking them seriously. (Much like the movie: ZING!) Particularly Wayne Knight, who would go on to play Newman there. Oh, I will say though, even though it might be hard to pick out the worst performance here (special shout out goes to Michael Douglas' delivery of the line, "Do you think this is some sort of GAME!" You have to see it...) to me has got to to George Dzundza as Michael Douglas' partner, Gus, some sort of country western obsessed goof transplanted to San Francisco. (They have this thing where Douglas calls him "Cowboy", and he keeps calling Douglas, "Hoss").

No comments:

Post a Comment