Sunday, April 4, 2010

Philip Stone

So, this morning I was just about to clean up around the apartment. I was enjoying an Iced Coffee from Dunkin Donuts (send me money, I can give more plugs!) and I started watching Thunderball and I noticed a familiar face. In the very beginning during the SPECTRE meeting where they man gets electrocuted for coming up short on some money- I saw someone I recognized. Its one of those people I had seen in things I liked before, some things I love, yet I didn't know his name. Turns out his name is Philip Stone, he just passed away in 2003, and he has some 99 credits to his name on IMDB.com. It seems most of those are television roles, British television for the most part (his first being on The Avengers in 1961). From there he got some small uncredited roles in some bigger movies such as:

SPECTRE #6 in Thunderball (1965)


and

another uncredited role in Where Eagles Dare (1968) as the Sky Tram Operator.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a picture of them.

Interestingly, enough he seems to have caught Stanley Kubrick's fancy in the 70's and appeared in three straight Kubrick movies. The last being what might be his most famous role:

As just "Dad" in A Clockwork Orange (1971) (Alex's Dad)


As Graham in Barry Lyndon (1975)


And what could arguably be his most famous role, the original murderous caretaker of the Overlook Hotel, Delbert Grady, in The Shining


Unfortunately, again, I couldn't find a picture for this, but he played Zogi, The High Priest in Flash Gordon (1980).


Lastly, as far as famous films go, he still did a bunch more television, even episode of A Touch Of Frost in 1997, he played a part of the colonial presence in India, Captain Phillip Blumburt in another personal favorite of mine, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.


Fun Facts: According to IMDB, he was actually the ONLY actor to appear in three successive Stanley Kubrick movies.

He also served in the Royal Air Force in World War 2. Ian Fleming would have approved.

No comments:

Post a Comment