Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Terminator: Salvation (2009)



I might have to grade this on a curve, due to being home with whatever kiddie funk my friends' kids gave me this weekend. That curve being, it was a pretty good movie to watch while sick. For whatever reason all these movies I didn't pay to go see in theater are cropping up on On Demand. What a better time to catch up than when I should be resting. And drinking lots of fluids. That being said, I am a sucker for a post-apocalyptic movie. There's some fun, here, some pretty good action set-pieces. What's weird for me is the stuff that grated on me was mostly the shoehorning in of stuff from previous Terminator movies-"Come with me if you want to live" and what not. Please don't remind your audience of better movies. The most egregious was Christian Bale's "I'll Be Back" followed by, our of nowhere, him hitting play on an old boombox wherein Guns N Roses' "You Could Be Mine" starts blaring. Which also made me feel dumb (we'll blame the body aches) because at first I was like, "Wait what!?" Then remembered it was his favorite song in "Terminator 2". Yeah maybe this was too much for me-stupid time-traveling. I don't know why the whole recalling lines from other movies motif was more annoying here than in "Star Trek"-must be a writing thing. I did think Sam Worthington and Anton Yelchin (Hey! Chekhov from "Star Trek") were pretty good. On the other end of the spectrum, Common and, sad to say, Christian Bale were not too good. Bale's is all brooding and yelling, and growly-voiced, like he was doing a parody of himself in the Batman movies. It was nice to see Michael Ironside though.

No comments:

Post a Comment