Friday, June 11, 2010

Get Him To The Greek (2010)



One word: disappointed. I think there is like 2/3 (maybe even less really) of an interesting, funny movie here. But it all falls apart in the end. I feel like Apatow and things Apatow-produced/associated has an issue of late of sticking the landing in their movies. This time is no different, for a good part of the running time this is a raucous comedy with a sort of dark/sad undertone, and then towards the end it shifts weirdly tonally to this different, much more saccharine movie. Which I find doubly sad because this movie is absolutely loaded with talented people both in front of and behind the camera. And with all these funny people, who knew that Sean "Puffy", "P.Diddy" Combs would get the biggest laughs? And a small aside, I love Elizabeth Moss in Mad Men, here she gets saddled with the mostly thankful task of being the career woman who initially won't let Jonah Hill's Aaron do anything fun, and makes life plans without him etc. One, the role is cliched and played out. But the thing is the writers, to me, made her feel more unlikable than a Katherine Heigl character simply by her refusing to let Aron go see The Pixies. I mean seriously? They should have chosen a different band because that is an breakupable (I made that word up) offense in my book. I get that opposites attract, but why stay with someone that would rather watch Gossip Girl than see The Pixies. Call me shallow, but its the truth.

So, yeah, ultimately I was disappointed. There could have been a really funny movie here, but it just sort of peters out in the end. Ah well. At least they serve Narragansett at the Somerville Theatre now.

2 comments:

  1. I am offended by the phrase Peters out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops. Sorry about that. I'll try to be more conscientious next time.

    ReplyDelete